Absentee Voter Information
Registered Missouri voters who expect to be prevented from going to their polling place on Election Day may vote an absentee ballot either in-person or by mail beginning six (6) weeks prior to an election.
Reasons for Voting Absentee
By law, absentee voters must provide one of the following reasons for voting absentee:
- Absence on Election Day from the jurisdiction of the election authority in which such voter is registered to vote;
- Incapacity or confinement due to illness or physical disability, including a person who is primarily responsible for the physical care of a person who is incapacitated or confined due to illness or disability;
- Religious belief or practice;
- Employment as an election authority, as a member of an election authority, or by an election authority at a location other than such voter’s polling place;
- Incarceration, provided all qualifications for voting are retained; or
- Certified participation in the address confidentiality program established under sections 589.660 to 589.681 RSMo. because of safety concerns.
In-Person Absentee Voting
Voters can cast an absentee ballot at the Office of the County Clerk located:
County Administration Building
101 Mockingbird Lane, Suite 302
Warrenton, MO 63383
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (open through the lunch hour)
2nd Wednesday prior to the election until 5:00 p.m.
Saturday immediately preceding Election Day 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
Monday prior to the election until 5:00 p.m. – Last Day to Vote Absentee In-Person
By Mail Absentee Voting
Voters can request a ballot to be mailed to them by completing the Request for Absentee Ballot form below. The request will be processed and a ballot will be mailed at the request of the voter. A return envelope and directions for voting the ballot are provided.
Request for Absentee Ballot (print and submit by mail, or fax)
A signature is required on an absentee ballot request, by law.
(Military and/or Overseas voters may request and receive an absentee ballot online by logging in to the Military and Overseas Voting Access Portal or by email by submitting a Federal Post Card Application to the County Clerk’s Office.)
Send Absentee Ballot Request forms to:
By Mail: Warren County Clerk’s Office
101 Mockingbird Lane, Suite 302
Warrenton, MO 63383
By Fax: (636) 456-1801
Email: Contact the office at (636)456-3331 for an email address
Relatives within the second degree (spouse, parent, child, brother, sister, grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew) may complete an absentee ballot application, in person, on behalf of the voter who wishes to vote absentee.
Requests for absentee ballots to be mailed must be received in the Office of the County Clerk by 5:00 p.m. the 2nd Wednesday immediately preceding an election.
Permanently Disabled List
Any voter with a permanent disability can request to be placed on the permanent disabled list. Upon returning a completed application, the voter will automatically receive, in the mail, an application prior to each election in which they are eligible to vote. If the voter decides they wish to vote in that election, they sign the application and send back to the election authority. After receipt of the signed application, the voter will be mailed an absentee ballot. Voters on this list remain on this list until they ask to be removed, become disqualified, or no longer reside at the address of registration.
Hospital Voting, Care Facility Voting, Skilled Nursing Facility Voting
If a registered voter becomes confined due to illness or injury after 5:00 p.m. on the Wednesday immediately preceding an election, you may contact our office and arrange for a team of bipartisan Election Judges to deliver an absentee ballot to the hospital, care facility, or skilled nursing facility where the voter is located.
Other Important Information
When voting absentee by mail, the ballot return envelope must be notarized before returning it to the Election Authority except under the following circumstances:
- If you are incapacitated or confined due to illness or disability or you are caring for a person who is incapacitated or confined due to illness or disability;
- Residing outside the boundaries of the United States; or
- On active duty with the armed forces of the United States or members of their immediate family living with them.
Mailed absentee ballots shall be returned in the ballot envelope provided and shall only be returned by mail, by the voter in person, in person by a relative within the second degree by blood or marriage, or registered carrier. Voted absentee ballots must be received in the Office of the County Clerk by 7:00 p.m. on Election Day.
Note: Voters requesting an absentee ballot by mail who have registered by mail and have not voted in person are required to submit a copy of their personal identification unless they provided a copy with their registration application.
Examples of acceptable identification are:
- Identification issued by the state of Missouri, an agency of the state, or a local election authority of the state;
- Identification issued by the United States government or agency thereof;
- Identification issued by an institution of higher education, including a university, college, vocational and technical school, located within the state of Missouri;
- A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that contains the name and address of the voter;
- Driver’s license or state identification card issued by another state; or
- Other identification approved by the secretary of state under rules promulgated pursuant to subsection 3 of this section other identification approved by federal law.